Back to Athens 2023 | Geometry of racional
For its 2023 edition "Back to Athens 10 | 2023: Geometry of racional", the established International Art Meeting of artistic activity in the heart of the Athenian center will open at the monumental early 1920’s Isaiah Palace.
Back to Athens is an annual profile of the ideas and proposals of the art community that reflect the identity of everyday culture. In response to the critical issues and current social and artistic transformations developed within the course of the previous year, Back to Athens defines as an important interdisciplinary art platform that connects the contemporary Athenian art community and alerts the public to the critical issues and current social and artistic transformations developed within the course of the previous year.
This year's meeting unfolds 40 curatorial exhibitions, installations and performances with the participation of 185 international artists, curators. Since 2012, Back to Athens has created a cultural mapping of Athens by re-opening and revisiting important Athenian buildings and distinctive landmarks that are defined by their own cultural and historical heritage. In this context, each year Back to Athens International Art Meeting chooses to visit locations within the Athenian heart, that are characterized by a diversity of backgrounds and cultures.
In the present society where the entire world has become interconnected, Back to Athens 2023 under the title “Geometry of racional, a review”1 aims to present a series of exhibitions and curatorial projects that explores the connections between artists and the actual impact of their artwork on society. In Back to Athens, artistic research and visual work are placed on a scale of comparison of measurable elements. Artistic research and practice, and the actual artwork on a scalable comparison of measurable components, while discussion arises on the disruption of the current exhibition model and communication in contemporary art.
Back to Athens examines 5 issues, creating a value system that connects these critical points to their associations. The aim is to analyze and conceive through tangible examples (in the form of exhibitions) and pair these values with each other, and define the specific role of each value as a contributor to the development of a new communication model and exhibition hybrid.
1. The mutual dependence of the artists of their work and their compatibility to the existing exhibition spaces.
2. Freedom and Independence, with the assistance of various contemporary systems (independent spaces, open studios, popup spaces) that have been introduced.
3. The importance of an interdependent or independent relationship and the theory of developing a new, singular exhibition and communication hybrid that can be developed and adapted as autonomously, without the need of continuity. In short, the approach to a new dimension of the geometry of the contemporary art world.
4. The most important, withstanding cultural exhibition models have already been evaluated, revealing those values that are evolve as the basis to future models.
5. A variety of experimental practices are introduced according to the needs of our times. The fundamental principles of the current exhibition model are a discussed, building both on its practical and educational significance.
Georg Georgakopoulos, Fotini Kapiris, Christian Rupp
1. Rational geometry is the science of space and deals with the fundamental properties that determine how the parts of space relate to each other. As such, it plays a central role in mathematics and applied mathematics, as well as in many other scientific disciplines. Rational geometry: builds on foundations laid down by David Hilbert in his 'Foundations of Geometry', first published in 1899. Topics include rational number & set theory. Non-Euclidean geometries. projective geometry and more.
Back to Athens 2023 | Geometry of racional
June 28 – July 2, 2023
65 Patission Str., Athens 104 33
Organised by APART Art Research and Applications, with the support of the Austrian Embassy Athens, Bundesministerium Austrian Ministry of Culture and Sports, ZOIA, Coordinated by CHEAPART, Participation Athens Intersection, ARTmART, theculturechannel.